Jun 1, 2014

Fairy Tale Review Episodes 1-4

"Lucy is a seventeen-year-old mage with the power to summon stellar spirits, but what she really wants to do is join a guild - and not just any guild. She has her eyes set on Fairy Tail, a notoriously reckless and outrageous group of magic users who are likely to be drunk or destroying buildings and towns in the process of completing a job! While in town one day Lucy meets a perpetually-seasick boy named Natsu who, through a series of events, reveals to her that he's none other than the fire-eating mage Salamander of Fairy Tail! Lucy is finally able to join Fairy Tail and quickly begins to take on odd jobs with Natsu and his gang for fame and profit. Along with her fiery friend, Happy the flying cat, Natsu's archrival Gray and their overseer the invincible and beautiful Erza, Lucy sets forth for epic adventures that leave an epic amount of destruction in their wake. After all, destroying a city or five doesn't matter as long as they get the job done... right?!" -Synopsis taken from Anime-planet website

As soon as the show started, it wasn't what I expected. It sounded more like a disney movie than an anime. Still, despite the bed time story sounding narrator, I decided to keep watching to give it a chance. The narration is used quite often though and I find it a bit annoying. I've never cared for narration in animes, but the sound of this one is a bit worse. Any way, after a while, it got interesting enough that I watched the second episode. Unfortunately, this anime reminds me a bit of One Piece in the style and characters. I say "unfortunately" because I don't like One Piece. I'll admit, I'm in to the darker animes, not so much comedy and silliness. As for the magic in the show, I'm not entirely sure I would label it as magic. This isn't the type of anime that makes me want to keep clicking on the next episode till late at night because I'm eager to find out what happens next. Other than some cursing and possibly inappropriate subjects, it kind of has the feel of a kid's cartoon, and I'm not talking about the ones from the good ones, I'm talking about the crap they put on tv now. 
Before I go any farther, I want to make clear that I don't hate the show and I don't think it's crap. It just has a similar feel in some ways. Still, I think if I had to pick something I have seen that is most like this show, I'd pick One Piece. Anyway, I know it's gotten pretty good ratings, but then again, so did Pokemon and I lost interest it that once the original characters were gone, actually more like once Misty was gone. And now I'm getting off track again. 
I plan to keep watching the show. I have only seen the first four episodes, so it could get better. I really hope that eventually the main characters won't still be so half-brained and pathetic like. How they win anything is beyond me. They have good hearts though. That's something at least. Hopefully this will get more interesting. Since it's a rather long series, I'll wait a while before  deciding my absolute final opinion about it. It wouldn't be the first show that i didn't like at the start and ended up liking later.

No comments:

Post a Comment