Jun 10, 2014

Fairy Tail Season 1 Final Review

The show wasn't very interesting to start with. Actually, I stopped watching after four episodes and waited weeks before starting again. I only started watching again because I didn't feel like debating with myself over what to watch next. I don't like making decisions.
At first, the whole thing just seemed stupid. The characters were morons running a muck around a strange place. There was pretty much never a serious moment either. Anything funny was lost due to the static unchanging mood of the episodes. It was like a bad joke if you asked me. On top of that, the style seemed a lot like One Piece, which I never cared for either. In other words, the beginning was terrible.
Honestly, I had no hope for the show. Even as I continued watching a few more episodes, I could see what people liked about the show. I didn't think it would have a chance with me even if the ending was perfect. I gave it a chance anyway, and it did start to get better. I believe it was the event on the island where they took the S class mission that truly started to change my mind. It seemed like the first time that a scene was ever serious without some stupid interuption. The development of Grey's character really began at that time. In fact, all the main characters started to truly develop into more than just stupid morons running a muck in some magical world. They actually proved they have a brain in their skulls. The mood of the show began to change throughout episodes. There were comical moments, sad moments, etc. It wasn't just the same thing constantly. It took a while, but I finally started to like the show.
I didn't really get hooked on until Natsu and Gajeel went at each other. Natsu showed he was more than just a lucky idiot. 
My only big issue with the show now is Natsu's status. I don't know that "Status" is the right word, but it's what I got. Natsu is obviously very powerful. He is one of the dragon slayers that are so feared and respected. He main not be the brightest bulb in the pack most of the time, but when push comes to shove, he really is strong and capable. Already he has brought down many opponents. It seems other people see this strength too. They talk about him being the one who can defeat this and defeat that, etc. We have even seen him take on his true form. Still, he isn't an S class member, in fact he doesn't even seem to rank high at all. Whenever he faces someone just for fun, he gets beaten withing five seconds, if that. I can guess that he probably isn't an S class member because his friends are part of why he succeeds, he isn't very smart often times, and he only seems to be strong when he is in a pinch. Still, I think friends are a strength and a weapon. Even if they are the reason he succeeds, not everyone can pull off what he does. As for his lack of intelligence, he has friends, and he always seems to get out of whatever the hell he gets himself into. He has the power within him and he can use it if he needs too. He has his true form, except he hasn't used it since the one time. All the things he has thrown at his opponents, and yet during the battle at the end of the season, he is still using the same basic tricks as always. He could do so much more and he doesn't. I get that it worked better with the story, but that just means there is something wrong with the story line. Either he is strong and powerful or he isn't. Either he has this deadly power or he doesn't. He shouldn't have been so easy to knock down. He wouldn't have been if he used his full strength. My point is, it doesn't make sense. It's inconsistent. It just doesn't fit together.

One of my smaller issues with the show is not ending things. My biggest annoyance with this was the episode where they switched bodies. It never seemed to finish. Either that, or there was an episode missing. Not only that, but if Loki was a spirit, is it even possible for him to be switched? There were some other less noticeable and less annoying moments where it seemed like there was supposed to be more and there wasn't. but that was the most bothersome one.

One of the last things on my list to mention is episode 41. I swear that episode should win the award of most endings in one episode! I don't think that award exists, but it should just for this episode. I think there must have been like ten times where it felt like an ending to something. It was ridiculous! I didn't hate it, I'm just saying it was crazy.


Overall, it got off to a bad start, but it wasn't a total waste of time. It took it's time, but it did get interesting. I definitely plan to keep watching. I don't rate individual seasons, and if I did I don't know what I would rate this. It started off being almost too annoying to watch. At first, I just wanted to stop giving it a chance and punch it already. It turned out to be pretty cool though.





No comments:

Post a Comment