Aug 2, 2014

Ghost Hound Review

As of right now, I am reviewing this after only watching the first episode. I may try to watch the rest if I have nothing better to do one day, but as of right now, I see no point.
It's slow. It lacks a major quality for any story or form of entertainment, called a good first impression. Whether you are making an anime, performing a play or dance, writing a book, or writing an essay, the beginning is supposed to draw the audience in. The first impression is supposed to make the reader or watcher want and/or need to see more. I often find myself criticizing stories for failing to do so. After all, this is something I learned about by at least 6th grade, maybe earlier. Aka, it's not that complicated. You are supposed to learn about the parts of a story and how to write a story in grade school, and yet, I see so many stories that lack some of the most basic things. This is one of those stories.
The first episode is just so dreadfully slow. I watched for twenty minutes and barely got any information about the characters, the scene, the plot, or anything. The dialogue is scarce as well, which isn't always bad, but in this case, it did not help matters. Most of what was said was rather random and offered very little insight into the characters. The whole thing dragged. Nothing was explained. Nothing really happened. Ten minutes in and I'm considering turning it off. I watched the rest anyway, though I think it was a waste of time. The end of the episode didn't make me want to click on the next episode either. There weren't any questions I was dying to have answered. There wasn't anything going on that seemed worth continuing. I didn't relate to any of the characters or even know enough about any character to relate to them. It made a very poor first impression. If the beginning isn't good, what reason do I have to think the rest will be any better? None. The writer and directors job was to pull me in at the start. If they couldn't do that, then why should I expect they will do a better job with the next episode. I don't want to waste my time watching 22 episodes just to find them all to be as boring as the first! I don't want to waste another 20 minutes for that matter. I have no reason to believe it will get better. It's disappoingting because when I found it, I thought it  sounded interesting and I was expecting to enjoy it. Instead, I found boredom.

The slow beginning isn't the only problem I have with it. Though I may have been able to overlook it if the story was better, I don't like the animation style. The characters are very simple. Their clothes are off looking too as if all their clothes have a bunch of padding in them or something. It's all very flat too. Even the colors are simple. Not everything is simple though. There is a scene where the eye lashes on a face look far more complex than anything else on the body. In other words, it doesn't all match. It's like they had different artists with different styles drawing different parts of the characters and scenes. Some of it is very detailed but a lot of it is very flat and simple. It doesn't fit together. I should mention though that their are a few characters who aren't drawn as simply or strangely, and whose clothes don't look like they have foam padding in them or something, but they are minor. Like I said, if the story was better, I could have dealt with it, but as it was, it bothered me too much.

Honestly, this review is kind of a waste of time, except that maybe it can save someone else from 20 minutes of pure boredom. I would not recommend this anime to anyone. I give it a .5 since I don't think I can really give it a zero. It does exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment