Aug 2, 2014

Jormungand Review

This show reminds me a lot of Black Lagoon. While the groups aren't exactly in the same business, there are a lot of similarities. Both main characters don't like guns, and yet both are in a gun crazy group. Black Lagoons character never uses a gun, but his feelings towards guns are the almost the same. In Jonas case, he didn't really have an option, and he actually knows how to use them. Both main characters struggle with their identity and with their present situation. Their current life seems a bit crazy, but they can't seem to leave it, and ultimately choose the path filled with the thing they hate. Both shows have very weak plots and the endings are lacking. The shows are mostly built on action with a bit of comedy. Both shows involve a group working with and among the criminal underground and are involved in some not quite legal business. I would say that the arms dealers are as much criminals as the shipping company, but still.









I also find the style of animation and the colors to be similar. Black Lagoon has more colors than Jormungand, but neither are dark. Jormungand is just a little more bland and less flashy that Black Lagoon. The scenes mostly consist of white, blues, greens, browns, and greys. Not dark, but not a mardi grass party either.



I think my favorite thing about the show was how crazy the characters were. Koko reminds me of myself a lot. She's insane. She has big ideas. She kind of hides her feelings behind a mask. She isn't very patient. And she totally spazzes sometimes, but she is cool and collected sometimes too.


On the other hand, I felt sort of connected to Jona too. I don't care for guns, though I'm fine with most other weapons. I also tend to be very quiet and keep to myself until I become more comfortable with people. I don't smile a lot either. He is very protective, he tries to protect people, Koko, the orphans, his "team mates", Velmet, etc. I also have a hard time with the idea that a bunch of people may have to die to keep even more people alive and to bring about peace. Lastly, I hate math and I completely agree with all his answers to mathematical questions!

Anyway, back to the rest, as I mentioned previously, the plot is weak. Actually, the plot is almost nonexistant in the first 12 episodes. There is a little bit going on with Jona and some of the characters pasts, so it does develop the characters, but it doesn't really have a plot throughout. In the second season, it's not as weak, but it still isn't a big focus. The anime is basically built on action. I don't hate it, but it does leave me longing for something with a story.


No comments:

Post a Comment