Jul 10, 2014

Chaos Head

Chaos Head is an O.K. anime. The main character is weak throughout most of the episodes. It proved to be a bit frustrating just how little he did and how useless he was. The second to last episode he finally became more confident and actually did something. I don't mind if the main character is weak sometimes, but there were times when I wondered if he was ever going to do anything at all. 

The plot twists were pretty good. I won't say what one, but one really threw me for a moment. The plot itself was decent too. There weren't many holes. There was a beginning, middle, and end. It was good enough. The pace was a little slow. I would have liked it better if it had moved just a little bit faster. 
Nothing is ever what it seems in this show and it can get pretty confusing sometimes. It throws around a lot of scientific and psychological theory as well as facts which may throw some people off. If you try to analyze it too much, you might get a head ache. 

Just a side note, but whoever decided those pants were a good idea should be shot. It shouldn't be legal to have to wear a uniform like that! First of all, it looks like they put on the top part of their uniform and wore their pajama pants to school! I'm not good with fashion stuff, but I'm pretty sure that boys uniform is a fashion crime. It's just so awful!!!

The way the main character talks to that anime girl unnerves and unsettles me though. It just seems so wrong. I still am not really sure what her purpose was though. 

Oh and apparently some math equation is what started all of the horrible stuff. See, I told my math teacher that math was the root of all evil, or maybe just that it was evil, either way she didn't believe me. I was right though.





So after watching this anime, I have to say, I'm a little confused why they kept calling hallucinations "delusions". I'm only a fourth year psych major so what the hell do I know, but a lot of those "delusions" weren't delusions, at least not entirely. A delusion is basically a false belief, like thinking you are God. Delusions aren't uncommon in a normal person. Plenty of people think they are hot shit and many of them are delusional for thinking so. A hallucination is a perception without a stimulus. It means one or more of your senses is reacting to a stimulus that does not exist. It usually takes auditory or visual form and occasionally somatic form. Though far less common, hallucinations can be in the form of taste, and smell. It is the result of misfiring in the brain.  Hallucinations are less common in the general population than delusions. Example of a hallucination:You see your hands covered in blood when there isn't any blood on your hands or you see a bear running at you when your on a boat with absolutely no bears around.
Example 2: You hear a voice in your head other than your own.
Example 3: You feel and see ants crawling on you despite the fact that there is nothing on you at all.
Delusions are simply thoughts. Example of a delusion:You believe you are being followed by some super secret government organization. In reality there isn't anyone following you. (note: seeing someone following you that isn't actually there would be a hallucination.)
Example 2: You believe you are Jesus. 
Example 3: You believe that every girl who smiles at you is madly in love with you.
So yeah, why do they keep saying delusions. I mean you could argue you need a delusion in order to have a hallucination but still. Some of it you could argue is a delusion but a lot of what the show calls delusions are hallucinations. They have form, they aren't just thoughts. Don't get me wrong, there are delusions in the show, but not all of what they called
delusions were delusions. Then again, some of it could be considered illusions too. Maybe they figured all the other things they said would fry the audiences brain so they decided to make it simple for this.

Anyway, I just wanted to point that out because it kind of bothered me. They could get a bunch of psychological and scientific stuff right but then they slack off when it comes to that detail. 




During the last episode, when it suddenly looked like he was back in his room back to normal life, I thought they had pulled that trick where they don't show the whole battle and fast forward to afterwards. I was about to get mad. Then I realized it couldn't me real and it switched back to the battle. That last battle was kind of confusing. Maybe I should have been paying more attention but It was kind of hard to tell what was a "delusion" and what wasn't.


The ending wasn't exactly conclusive. It wasn't bad. It ended the conflict. It's just we don't know what happened afterwards. What happened after you defeat the evil truly delusional idiot? Did everyone go back to school as if nothing happened? Were they the only ones who ever knew about what happened or did the public find out? What about the main character? After some of what he said and the way he looked at the end, I can't be sure if he died or lived. 





No comments:

Post a Comment