Aug 5, 2014

Shangri-La Review Episodes 1-10

The beginning was a little confusing as far as the characters go because I didn't really get what they were or who they were.
For instance, I sort of guessed one was a tranny but you know in anime you think it's a guy, but it's a girl and vice versa. So I wasn't sure and they took their time in confirming my thought.
Personally, there is way too much finance/stock/math talk for me to completely follow. All this carbon index and markets and stuff, yeah, I'm just a psych and dance major. I don't know anything about that stuff. It can make some moments very frustrating or very boring because I don't understand and all their words are basically meaningless to me. All their strategies for doing whatever with whatever market are completely lost on me as well. I feel like I need to go take some finance and business and economics classes to figure out what on earth these people are fussing about. Who the hec wrote this stuff?
The other thing I don't really get is this whole "slaying monsters" thing and the little snake medusa thingy and her "feeling" the markets change. Like what the hell?! Feeling the markets change? What genius came up with that. -_-   That second half of episode six when Kuniko and her grandma are watching some change in markets and whatever and the girl is analyzing and then "feeling" it's just totally weird. It's not cool, unless you are a financial adviser maybe. It just sounds stupid. I think somebody got a little carried away with this whole market thing.
It's not a bad anime, it's just I don't get the whole market thing and stuff and they get really carried away with it in the anime. Like I'm not even sure my mother could explain this to me. I sort of know what carbon index is, but as a market, I have no clue. They should have tried to dumb it down a bit. I don't like trying to google half of what is said in an anime trying to figure out what it means.
Well, I've carried on long enough about that.
More than a couple things in this anime just don't quite make sense.
For instance, in episode 7 (spoiler alert) when Kuniko is put on death row, Kunihito acts as if he cares about her. The two had fought a couple times and did spend a short time in some abandoned place during a halestorm, but there was never any real sign that Kunihito cared about her much. I'm not saying he should have been indifferent, but to try to actually go and talk to her or get upset over her being sentenced to die was a little much. I felt like there was some missing buildup or some missing scenes. It just wasn't developed right.
A lot of the characters seem rather disconnected and random as well. Like the sickly little girl. What is her purpose? Her connection to the rest of the story seems to be rather slight. And the kid in the room with all the eyes and red, what of that character. The characters aren't very well introduced nor very well developed.
I have to admit, I didn't think this show would show much in the way of blood and violence, or anything rather. It seemed pretty pg as far as what was shown for a while, at least until the end of episode 9.  (SPOILER ALERT) I can't say that I felt a huge connection with any of the characters, but it's still not okay for a bunch of young girls to be gunned down in a prison yard.

There wasn't a whole lot of detail in the scene. Again, they worked it so you didn't really see more than some lifeless faces and some spattered blood. So far I think that is a downside to this show. They keep it pretty tame. I don't know, maybe no one wanted to draw the detailed scenes. It's just you look at how detailed other scenes are, and then you look at how detailed the sad scenes or bloody/violent scenes are and there is a huge difference. The scenes of the buildings where nature has taken over and of the cities are all very detailed. Then you look at the scene in episode 9, and if you didn't know what had happened from clues earlier on and what was said, I'm not sure you could figure out what it was supposed to be. Maybe it's just my computer but I doubt it. I don't really care for shows that avoid the bad stuff. It takes away from the emotional aspect of the show. It also makes it more bland in my opinion. You don't really get the same experience as you would if you saw what the character saw.
On the other hand, there are some good parts of the show. Some of the characters can be funny at times like Momoko. The plot isn't terrible either, though it's carried out a bit roughly. Overall, so far the show is average. It's nothing to rush to go watch. It leaves out a lot of details and development and there are a lot of things not explained. There are a lot of characters to keep up with too, something I've never been especially good with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment